- DVLA Guidelines make it simpler for drivers with insulin treated diabetes
- A no deal Brexit could put lives at risk
- New Ulcer treatment could prevent 3,000 amputations a year
- FreeStyle Libre latest News!!!
- NHS Long-Term Plan
- FreeStyle Libre on the NHS from April 2019 but…
- Pork insulin availability in the UK and Canada assured
- NHS to provide life changing glucose monitors for Type 1 Diabetes patients
- Leading experts slam current diabetes care in UK care homes – a Call to Action needed
- Roche announces urgent recall on certain Accu-Chek Aviva and Performa test strips
- Ramadan 2018 and fasting
- DVLA changes regulations
- Freestyle Libre available on the NHS!
- Medtronic recall specific lots of infusion sets with all models of Medtronic insulin pumps
- All Accu-Chek® Insight insulin pumps – risk of alarm failure
- WHO – long-acting analogues not an essential medicine
- Beef insulin discontinued
- Soft Drinks Warning!
- Driven to Despair
- 2017 – Getting back on track after Christmas
- Childhood Obesity Strategy failing our children
- Diabetes – What schools need to know
- DVLA – Good News!
- The National Diabetes Foot Care Audit (NDFA)
- Diabetes care criticised
- Motorists banned in error after faulty DVLA visual field test
- Too many children and young people with diabetes not getting the care they need
- National NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme
- InDependent Diabetes Trust: Young diabetics ‘get worse care’
- IDDT’s Position Statement – ‘pre-diabetes’
- MBE Is Bolt From The Blue For Charity Chair
- New insulin on the market – Insulin Degludec (Tresiba)
- Diabetes community urges more support for older people
- Warning to people with diabetes about dangerous herbal medicine
- In 1 week, 60 hospital patients with diabetes develop preventable complications – National Audit
- Passport for Diabetes in Care Settings
- Launch of Passport for Diabetes in Care Settings
- Type 2 Diabetes – Management & Medication
- Cost of insulin analogues
- Actos And The Risk Of Bladder Cancer – New Safety Warnings
- Actraphane – are patients really at the centre of care
- Marketing of insulin – a missed opportunity
- IDDT Launch Patient Hospital Passports
- IDDT Launch Public Awareness Campaign
- IDDT’s Position Statement on DTCA
- In Sickness and in Health
- IDDT Triumphs in Australia
IDDT Triumphs in Australia
The Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust (IDDT) – after many years of lobbying – has at last succeeded in facilitating supplies of pork insulin into Australia. Previously, people with diabetes in Australia who wished to use porcine animal insulin were forced to import it via the UK, but with the intervention of IDDT, pork insulin is now available from Aspen Pharmacare Australia.
IDDT Chair, Jenny Hirst commented, ‘We are so pleased that at last people in Australia have choice. This has taken years of lobbying and although in the past it was possible for Australians to import some animal insulins from the UK, this proved to be extremely problematic. This was largely because insulin doesn’t travel well in high temperatures and is adversely affected, and the cost of importation was extremely high.
Although the pork insulin (Hypurin Porcine) is not a registered product it is available through a government Special Access Scheme (SAS) on a case-by-case basis. It is a Category B product and applications for its supply can be made by registered medical practitioners.
Ian Kershaw, IDDT’s Australian campaign officer said, ‘This is a real breakthrough for us here in Australia. Prior to this new supply route it was almost impossible for people here to use porcine animal insulin. However, thanks to everyone’s hard work we now have easy access to this insulin here in Australia.’
In order to make the supply as simple and fast as possible for both patients and healthcare professionals, Aspen Pharmacare have prepared very clear instructions on how to order Hypurin Porcine Insulin with prices and SAS forms, all of which are available by telephone, fax or on their website (details below).
Notes to Editors
For further information on the supply of pork insulin in Australia, please contact:
tel: 02 8436 8300
fax: 02 9901 3540
Ian Kershaw – IDDT Australia
tel: 03 6334 7552
Veronica Wray (London, UK)
tel: 0011 44 20 8568 8546 or 0011 44 7710 624454