- DVLA changes regulations
- Freestyle Libre available on the NHS!
- Medtronic recall specific lots of infusion sets with all models of Medtronic insulin pumps
- All Accu-Chek® Insight insulin pumps – risk of alarm failure
- WHO – long-acting analogues not an essential medicine
- Beef insulin discontinued
- Soft Drinks Warning!
- Driven to Despair
- 2017 – Getting back on track after Christmas
- Childhood Obesity Strategy failing our children
- Diabetes – What schools need to know
- DVLA – Good News!
- The National Diabetes Foot Care Audit (NDFA)
- Diabetes care criticised
- Motorists banned in error after faulty DVLA visual field test
- Too many children and young people with diabetes not getting the care they need
- National NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme
- InDependent Diabetes Trust: Young diabetics ‘get worse care’
- IDDT’s Position Statement – ‘pre-diabetes’
- MBE Is Bolt From The Blue For Charity Chair
- New insulin on the market – Insulin Degludec (Tresiba)
- Diabetes community urges more support for older people
- Warning to people with diabetes about dangerous herbal medicine
- In 1 week, 60 hospital patients with diabetes develop preventable complications – National Audit
- Passport for Diabetes in Care Settings
- Launch of Passport for Diabetes in Care Settings
- Type 2 Diabetes – Management & Medication
- Cost of insulin analogues
- Actos And The Risk Of Bladder Cancer – New Safety Warnings
- Actraphane – are patients really at the centre of care
- Marketing of insulin – a missed opportunity
- IDDT Launch Patient Hospital Passports
- IDDT Launch Public Awareness Campaign
- IDDT’s Position Statement on DTCA
- In Sickness and in Health
- IDDT Triumphs in Australia
Beef insulin discontinued
IDDT formed in 1994 to fight for animal insulins to remain available for the people who need them due to adverse reactions to the genetically engineered human and analogue insulins. This has been made possible by Wockhardt UK’s manufacture of beef (bovine) and pork (porcine) insulins. We have always promised that we would let our members using insulin know as soon as we had any news on future supplies, hence this notification.
This week, Wockhardt UK has had to announce that the company is discontinuing supplies of beef insulin. This is due to worldwide unavailability of the raw materials to make it. They apologise for what this means to people using beef insulin but the situation is beyond their control, indeed, beyond anyone’s control. In fact, only a very small number of people are using beef insulin and we are thankful that Wockhardt has continued manufacture for this very small market. Enclosed with this letter are the details of the anticipated dates that the various beef insulins will no longer be available.
I had a conversation last week with the Managing Director of Wockhardt UK and he asked me to reassure IDDT members that this ONLY applies to beef insulin and the supplies of pork insulin are secure for years to come. So, just to reassure those of you using pork insulin, it WILL remain available, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, even if this is said by a health professional!
The Trustees and I are very sorry for the people this affects but we cannot fight the impossible – the reality is that the raw materials are not available anywhere in the world. Again I stress that this discontinuation only affects beef insulin, so people taking pork insulin or any of the genetically engineered human and analogue insulins need have no fears about supplies.
Finally, if we can be of help at any time, please don’t hesitate to get in touch by calling 01604 622837 or emailing email@example.com