HGV licence applications process improved by the DVLA
The Driving and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) has made some improvements in the way people treated with insulin apply for their annual renewal to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. This is to reduce the unreasonable delays people have been experiencing when renewing their licences.
- The DVLA Drivers Medical Group has increased capacity to assess applications from people with diabetes.
- The application form (D4) is being simplified so that it is easier to complete and will reduce the number of rejected applications.
- The response time will be speeded up for any vocational drivers chasing up the whereabouts of their First Vocational Licence Application with the DVLA Contact Centre.
There are also plans to improve the whole process which includes:
- Updating all DVLA literature to advise drivers not to send in their driving licence when applying for a renewal.
- Changing legislation to allow drivers to apply for their licence 90 days before it is due to expire.
- Recruiting and training more staff and medical professionals.
You can contact the DVLA Contact Centre about Vocational Medical Enquiries on 0300 790 6806